August 19, 2015

Goodbye London, Hello Nostalgia

Walking the streets of London as darkness descends almost lost isn't nearly as frustrating as one might think. When you've fallen in love with a city, wandering without finding your destination is not a burden.

I've been thinking about my 16th birthday present.  I received a trip to London then Paris. I entirely expected to prefer Paris to London, probably because of the constant romanticizing of the City of Lights, but I was surprised by myself. I started slowly, with an adoration of tea and scones and slowly evolved. I noticed the history intermingled with a modern city. I noticed the almost pristine roads. I developed an intense weakness for the Royal Guard and the Royal Gardens. But all good things come to an end. So we left for Paris and the nostalgia began. I won't lie: the rooftop view of Paris is one of the most beautiful sights I've ever laid eyes on, but it couldn't compare to the whole city of London. Perhaps if I return, I will realize I've created a place in my memories that never really existed, maybe next time I will explore Paris the way I wandered London and realize my love isn't just for London, but simply for the beautiful, richly historic cities of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment